Thursday, July 19, 2007

A Reality Check With ... Jupiter Mendoza (CBS's "Pirate Master")

Jupiter Mendoza was born and raised in Santa Rosa, CA. She publicly acknowledged that she is a lesbian when she was 16 years old and is very proud that she had the strength to do so. She has been working in the service industry for the last 11 years. Her hobbies include dancing, spinning poi (fire), swimming and writing. She describes herself as a caretaker who is vivacious, outgoing and spiritual. Jupiter was cut adrift on this week's Pirate Master after being deemed an ungrateful crew member. She's here to talk with RealityCheckByGina about her time on the show.

RC: Were you a tomboy growing up?
Jupiter: I was absolutely a tomboy & still am! I grew up with all boys. We jumped off rocks, rode dirtbikes, and played hard. You had to be competitive. I grew up on the Russian River, too, so I was always fishing & swimming.

RC: Would you consider yourself athletic?
Jupiter: I don't consider myself as athletic as I was when I was younger. Now, I dance 2-3 times a week & that keeps me a little more lean.

RC: Is there ever going to be a mutiny on this ship?
Jupiter: My concern for the crew is getting Jay on board to mutiny. Thought he may say he's willing, he may just be saying that. But there is a possibility there.

RC: What was your reaction when the "ghosts" (previous players cut adrift) showed up to compete against you?
Jupiter: It was interesting. Half of me was like, "Oh my God, what are we in for?" Some of those pirates cut adrift were cut because they were athletic. But the other half of me was happy to see the pirates I had grown fond of. In the big scheme of things, I wanted the ghosts to win in the treasure hunt because we were over Azmyth being our captain. I was nervous & excited.

RC: When did the big turnaround start with Azmyth? He was popular in the beginning.
Jupiter: I saw Azmyth in a different perspective when I got the black spot. He was greedy - not how I had envisioned him. It was disappointing. He was definitely power tripping.

RC: Were you upset that you were called ungrateful after trying to go to bat for the crew to the captain & his officers?
Jupiter: I was disappointed about that. Here I was, standing up & being the voice and I suffered the consequences. I considered them my crew as much as the captain. I was sticking up for them & they made me seem like a fool. It was hard watching the show back & hearing what they had to say.

RC: You seem like someone who just is who she is. Would you have played it any other way?
Jupiter: No, I wouldn't change it. Honestly, I don't live my life with regrets.

RC: Did you form any genuine friendships out there?
Jupiter: Someone on the ship said to me, "Stop getting so attached." But I'm the caretaker. I bonded with Cheryl, she was really there for me. I got a little attached to her. And, of course, Sean because we were in the galley together day after day. As time went on, I formed a friendship with Laurel too.

RC: Do you want to stay in the entertainment industry?
Jupiter: I will hopefully continue planning events, which is what I do now. I would love to continue doing reality, be a personality. I'm not sure how to go about doing that.


A new episode of Pirate Master airs Tuesdays at 10pm EST on CBS




No comments:

Google